Lutein is widely found in food, which is one of the important natural pigments in the macular region of the retina. Because of its high lutein content, suitability for large-scale planting, and low cost, the marigold flower is the main raw material for industrial extraction and preparation of lutein. Lutein and zeaxanthin cannot be synthesized by the human body, they must be obtained through diet or eye care supplements that are necessary for our daily life. The development of the eyecare economy has spawned a series of eye care products markets and the development of food additives.
What is lutein from marigold flower?
Marigold flower is rich in lutein, which is an ideal raw material for the production and development of Eyecare products. As an excellent antioxidant, lutein extracted from natural plants has the characteristics of strong stability, no toxic side effects and high safety. The United States has been extracting lutein from marigold since the 1970s. It was first added to chicken feed to improve the nutritional value of eggs. Nowadays, a large amount of lutein is extracted from marigold flowers in industrial batches, which is widely used in medicines, health products, and food additive
- Protect your retina and make your eyes clearer. When our retina absorbs light, it is easily damaged by oxidation. Lutein can avoid this damage, help our eyes filter blue light, reduce chromatic aberration, and make our vision more accurate.
- Prevent age-related macular degeneration. According to research, macular degeneration is the main cause of blindness in the elderly, and lutein can protect the macula, promote the development of the macula, and help patients with age-related macular degeneration.
- Relieve eye fatigue. Lutein is a high-concentration antioxidant that protects the eye capillaries, maintains good blood circulation, and reduces eye fatigue. If you are facing a mobile phone or computer screen for a long time, you can supplement lutein in an appropriate amount to reduce damage.
- Prevent the sequelae of high myopia. High myopia can easily make our retina edema, detachment, and in severe cases may lead to blindness. Therefore, we can supplement some lutein in an appropriate amount to provide enough nutrition for the eyes, which can reduce the occurrence of sequelae.
- Reduce the incidence of cataracts. A cataract is a common eye disease. Lutein is the only crystal in carotenoids, which can enhance the antioxidant capacity of crystals and reduce or prevent the occurrence of cataracts.
What does marigold extract do for skin?
Experiments have confirmed that marigold root extract contains more thiophene compounds, which can cause irritation to human skin, form blisters and threaten health.
In 2005, the European Union Consumer Product Science Committee (SCCP) considered that marigold plant extracts and essential oils are phototoxic. Since there is no basis for a safe dosage, it is recommended that marigold extract and oil should not be used in cosmetics.
In 2013, the International Fragrance Association (IFRA) updated the information dossier on this substance, which determined the maximum allowable concentration of marigold plant extracts and essential oils in leave-on cosmetics to be 0.01. %
In 2015, the EU SCCS reassessed marigold extracts and oils,
which are safe in leave-on cosmetics (except sunscreens) at a maximum allowable concentration of 0.01%, but they do not contain more than 0.35% alpha terthienyl. Also, marigold extract and essential oils should not be used in sunscreen products. Phototoxicity is exacerbated by exposure to ultraviolet light.
In 2018, the European Union officially classified marigold as a prohibited ingredient in cosmetics.
Due to the special chemical properties of lutein, microencapsulation of lutein has become more and more popular in the market in recent years. Microencapsulation technology uses gelatin, gum arabic and other substances (as wall materials) to encapsulate lipid-soluble active substances such as lutein to form tiny particles (microcapsules), so as to achieve the purpose of improving the stability and biological activity of the encapsulated substances. At the same time, the microcapsule series products make lutein gummy and soft capsules become the new dosage forms used more in the field of health food in recent years. They have a beautiful appearance, high bioavailability and good stability, and can effectively prevent the target from being exposed to light and heat. Decomposition of sensitive ingredients. KS Nutripharm has been focusing on marigold extract for 15 years and has served nearly 100 well-known customers. We have a professional planting base and strictly control the pesticide residue indicators of marigold flowers. After years of continuous technology and equipment improvement, our output has been maintained at around 100 tons per year, and we can supply customers all over the world stably.